Friday, September 12, 2008

COUNTDOWN TO CONTEXT

ANTI-SILENCE SOLUTION: Pirates; At World’s End; Hans Zimmer
JAVA PRESCRIPTION: Custom blend (see previous post)
MOON PHASE: Waxing Gibbous

I am officially going to Context in Columbus, Ohio, Sept 26-28. I even get to sit on a couple of panels. GROOVY!! Hope I have something intelligent and witty to say… If not, I have a room and I’ll hide out.

I have asked to be in on the panel called “Writing Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy” with panelists: Editor Guest of Honor Paula Guran (my editor at Juno Books) and the Guest of Honor Tanya Huff, and Phoebe Wray. If I’m correct, Wray's first novel in genre fiction is newly out, with previous genre-shorts to her credit, and non-fiction. So that should be a great place to sit in, with two knowledgeable folks and two relative newbies.

The other panel I have requested to be on is Great Movie Soundtracks. Since the con is titled ‘We liked the movie but the book was better.’ I’m hoping they really mean movie scores (specifically from movies adapted from books...), not soundtracks(which can be rock-n-roll radio tunes or 'inspired by' tunes also for pop stations, etc). Because, as you may have noticed, I love scores and note what I'm listening to at my header and it's 95% movie scores... From books, I specifically LOVE Howard Shore’s for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I like the various composers (John Williams, Nicolas Hooper, Patrick Doyle, etc.) who have given their takes on the Harry Potter franchise. All those composers have done so much to capture the essence of and enhance and identify the characters and the movies. Who doesn’t recognize the tinkling Harry Potter opening? This panel has two names attached to it: Johnson and Sandridge. I am not able to find who they are to detail them nor to help me know if I’m going to be in over my head! :-)

I’m very excited and hope to be a part of both panels!

No comments: