Friday, September 19, 2008

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE MUSIC?

ANTI-SILENCE SOLUTION: Last of the Mohicans/ Randy Edelman & Trevor Jones
JAVA PRESCRIPTION: Vanilla Biscotti w/ Raspberry
MOON PHASE: WANING GIBBOUS
TAROT of the DAY: TWO of WANDS (New aim, goal or creative project...has potential, have the courage to proceed.)


I'm ecstatic to be included in a panel at Context that's called Great Movie Soundtracks. Aside from the last names of the other panelists, Johnson and Sandridge, I know nothing about this little panel…but I am sooo excited to get to share on a musical subject in addition to writing!! So, I’m wondering…as research data, of course, what is YOUR favorite? Do you even pay attention? What do you listen to when you write, if anything, and do you endeavor to create a ‘mood’—and if so, always, or just for certain scenes?

Musicians often do with melodic phrases, things that we cannot do with words, but mirrors and enhances the words. For instance…take Gladiator. When Maximus arrives and is to fight in the great Coliseum, there is little to be said, the visual is daunting. The composer (my favorite, Hans Zimmer) took a Waltz…a lovely 3-beat dance, and turned it into a monster of a song rather emulating the whole Gladiator idea, entertain and die…pretty monstrous. And yeah, I’m totally geeking out right now.

Sometimes, when I’m stuck, I find a piece of music that fits the mood of what I want to write, (or write a song that fits), and then sit back in the cinema of my mind and watch the movie…I just try to envision the action and/or the drama. Yeah yeah, it’s daydreaming with a soundtrack, but that’s what I do. What about you? Is music in your process at all?

1 comment:

LBickle said...

Hmmm...as far as soundtracks go, I usually wind up returning to James Horner -- the Braveheart soundtrack is one of my favorites. I have the soundtrack for Contstantine in my player, at the moment. I also love Peter Gabriel's soundtrack for "The Last Temptation of Christ."

For background ambient music, I like a lot of Brian Eno...The Plateaux of Mirror, The Pearl, Discreet Music.

And I'm not too embarrassed to admit that I have Enigma in my "music to write to" collection. I *think* I'm not to embarrassed to admit it, anyway.