Friday, September 10, 2010

DRAGON CON 2010 part 2

Here are some of my favorite pictures from DRAGON CON 2010

Of course we have to start with Conan...




So mad at myself for not taking several of this guy. The costume was great but my camera sucks. I got ALOT of blurry images this year. (*insert various creative expletives here*)


Next are the demons of NETHERWORLD...







And because those costumes (above, left) are sooo detailed and dark (I'm sure their haunted house is unrivaled!), I'll next lighten things up with someone's homage to one of my favorite stand-up comedians, Jeff Dunham... here's Peanut and Jose Jalapeno on a Stick:







If some evil scientist plotted to unleash a zombie apocolypse, Dragon Con would have to be among the prime location considered. This year I heard there was a Zombie Prom going on at the big D-Con, but I did not find it, though these two must have been shambling to it....










If I were to write fan fiction that mixed up various alternate and already famous worlds, I doubt I would do Star Wars as sock monkeys, and I'm sure I would not combine that with Halo.


However, my kids would love to have a Master Chief costume like this. (Yeah, the Arteest and the Future Stunt Man made me zoom in on this picture so they could examine the gun and expressed how they wished the guy had been carrying an Energy Sword.) Oh, Halo dude, where did you get the armor, and does it come in boys 14, and boys 10?

And by the way...there are no orange tips on either of the guns these two are carrying, so, as my kids pointed out, they must be real. I'm glad these two were not trigger happy.


Speaking of alternate worlds...

Can you imagine Highlander with Storm Troopers?

"There can be only one!"











My friends have tortured me with the notion that Frodo and Sam were more than adventure buddies, that Aragorn and Legolas had various methods of keeping warm on long dark nights in the wilderness, and that Kirk and Spock are way more than friends (I wish I could un-see that You Tube video featuring scenes from the original series set to Nine Inch Nails' "Closer"), but I didn't see this one coming:








Now just imagine this pic (below) is in the Cantina at Mos Eisley, and that it's Darth Vader's Bachelor Party....







I got a picture of this man's homage to Fransis Ford Coppola's Dracula last year and it was all blurry, so I was delighted to run into him again. Love this costume! Every detail. The Costumes are one of the best things about Dragon Con. People not only come up with the coolest costumes, when they copy one from film/tv/comics/etc. they attend to all the details! (Except for the guy who thought a belt with a towel draped through the front, between his legs, and then draped over the back was a "loincloth." In my opinion, towels aren't really costumes. **The various young men who wore a towel and carried around Old Spice deodorant and said they were dressed as "the Old Spice guy" are an exception, however.


The highlight of the can, for me, as I said in my previous post, was the CELLDWELLER concert. See how excited I was? Below is a pic of Klayton at the keyboard.



















And this is Klayton and Blue Stahli during the uber-cool drumming portion of their show.











I bought various souveniers for the kids, of course, but I got myself something special. Here it is:

Romulan Ale. This proves my Trek fanhood. I have no pics of Klingons or Starfleet Officers, but I bought Romulan Ale and smuggled it home in my luggage. I wonder if Han Solo could use another sidekick? I now have experience as a smuggler....



3 comments:

Carmen R said...

I think the costumes at Dragon Con get better every year

Michelle said...

Wow....Do you think Conan will be there next year? Wow....maybe I'll go to Dragon Con next year... ;)

Brandon said...

Hey, as to the question of whether the Spartan armor comes in boys 10 and 14, the answer is yes and no. Check out 405th.com and you can find directions on how many make their armor. Mine (yes, I'm the spartan in the picture) isn't store bought, it's fan made. So yes, you can make master chief armor to scale for anyone, but it is not necessarily available already in childrens sizes. Hope that helps! Oh, do you have any other pics? If you do I would love to get some copies.