Sunday, November 7, 2010

When I'm NOT writing...

I've been writing, I swear. BUT.
I've been working on another project for a month now.
Finally, it's done and I want to share!

I've been paintintg my kids' room. Here's what I started with:


White walls. I sketched in some standard sized blocks just to see where the painters tape should go. Then I put a color on the upper portion of the walls, and a slightly darker color on the lower parts of the walls where my faux "stone" was going.















The boys wanted stone arches over their beds. So I drew a template and painted around it. At this point, I was still excited and eager to see the room come together.









Then I outlined the stones...that took days. I painted in one arch because I had to motivate myself. Seeing how cool the stone was going to be, helped me pick up the momentum that was lost.















Then I painted and detailed each stone.
Individually.
I began questioning my sanity.
Why did I ever start this project?
What the heck was I thinking???
I was in over my head. But the boys were so excited...I couldn't stop and paint over it all in a nice, normal solid shade. No matter how I might want to.




















And this big empty, windowless wall loomed.










I arranged the room and got the border painted.
I put up the props. The shield and helmet. The axes. (All are plastic toys.)
Still there was that empty wall.








It needed dragons.




So, I put in pillars and blacked out the part that would be "open to the outside."









I put in the clouds, the mountains in the distance. The moon and the stars.

And I started to paint dragons...




Finally...it was done.


8 comments:

Bea said...

OMG Awesome!!! What a lot of work but well worth it. I don't suppose you'd consider adopting me, lol.

S Andrew Swann said...

That's awesome work there.

Jessica said...

WOW! That is just plain awesome! To think my room as a kid was just plain pink! Until I grew out of that and wanted to have just regular colored walls!

Danielle said...

That looks amazing! I dont think I would have the patience for that!
Great work!

sadieloree said...

You are such a cool mom!!! :D

Lady Of The Wolves said...

Oh My goodness That is amazing!
I want my room like that now too xD!!!
FANTASTIC JOB! VERY CREATIVE! =D

Amy :o) said...

Oh my goodness, I love it! To have seen the look on your boys faces when the room was complete had to have been worth all the hard work. All I can say is...Good job, Mom! :o)

Robin Elizabeth Mancini said...

Thats got to be the coolest room in the house!